The “expectations” of the classroom in my classes this year are around the Student Leadership Paradigm.

What does that mean?

It means that students are and will develop the necessary skills to be leaders not solely within my classroom, but within the school, community, and beyond. Classroom expectations are key, yet centered around how the students themselves position themselves to always “do what is right, even when no one is watching.”

In your voice,here is your classroom leadership habits. My expectations of you all, is to work and strive for each of these each day, in my classroom and also into the entire school, and community. You are all leaders. You can all do many positive things to help yourselves and others. It’s all up to your attitude and choice.

1. Be Proactive. (I will do what I can before something troublesome happens. I will look for warning signs and be helpful. I will be a part of the solution, not the problem. I will ask questions to guide my own thinking)
  2. Begin with the End in Mind. (I will make goals for myself. I will ask myself; where do I want to go with this? How will I get there? What steps will I have to take? What outcome do I ultimately want?)
  3. Put First Things First. (I will complete my work, before play or relaxation. I will focus on the task at hand. I will take on only what I can manage.)
  4. Think Win-Win. (I will work together so that everyone can win. I know that there can be more than one right answer or method. It’s not about the role, but the goal. I will bring others up.)
  5. Seek First to Understand-Then be Understood. (I will listen first before I talk. I will be a critical friends. I will help us and others find a common goal. I will learn from the views of others)
  6. Synergize. (I will work well with others. I will trust. I will do my part. I will enjoy)
  7. Sharpen the Saw. (I will have a balance in my life and work.)

These habits are listed as habits and not expectations, as you and your own choices can decide which paths you will take. We will be going over these in class every now and again.

If you have any ideas yourselves, let me know, share with us, and let’s continue this positive stream of respect, responsibility, and reaching for excellence through our Classroom Leadership opportunities and expectations.

These habits are allow us to have a classroom culture of kindness and leadership. Leadership doesn’t just mean one person. We all have strengths.

We are all leaders.

What kind of leader will you be?

The Classroom Leadership Paradigm comes from the reference and study of Stephen Covey’s book, The Leader in Me, which stems from the his works and  books; 7 Habits in Highly Effective People, and The 7 Habits of Highly Effective Teens.